Wish You Were Here

Monday, April 23, 2007

Weekend Get-away


This past weekend, Patrick and I opted to head east to Arizona for some sunshine, fresh air, and hopefully, lots of fish! The trip Friday morning started out damp which could have definitely dampened my spirits, had Patrick not pointed out that the storm clouds were blowing in a different direction AWAY from Alamo Lake (Az). After driving through a rather boring view of the desert in California, we came upon a much more aesthetically pleasing sight of the Arizona desert. We arrived at Alamo Lake around 4PM and quickly set up camp so that we could head down to the lake to fish. Well, the fish weren't biting at the time, but a burro was snorting at us, so after taking a few pictures of "him"...I turned my attention to the beautiful sunset. I think that all too often we get caught up in the stressors of every day life, and we need to make the time to simply sit back and enjoy the ride. This was the perfect get-away. The weather was beautiful (thunderstorms were supposed to come Friday night, but there was nothin' but the howling winds, which, of course, I did not hear seeing that I'm a sound sleeper!). Saturday we fished for 8 1/2 hours. I caught four large mouth bass...Patrick caught one (no, I'm not counting!!!) But we were fishing for crappie and bluegill, but those were not to be found anywhere. Good thing that I packed a "back-up" dinner. Sunday morning, we paused to take the second pic with the view from our camp. It was another beautiful day. After packing up, Patrick and I headed back down to the lake. We fished for another five hours...but both of us were shut out. Oh, there were plenty of "hits" on our lines, but we landed nothing. But it wasn't a complete loss...we canoed into the coves and mini-canyons of Alamo Lake. It was absolutely breathtaking. We saw wild burros, a coyote, tons of quail, two bats, a few hawks, vultures galore, some weird duck species with a mohawk...and the clincher...a bald eagle soaring right above our canoe. Oh, and I saw a dead crappie. This was an awesome weekend getaway. I'm sunburned, sore from canoeing...but happy that I caught some fish...and refreshed to begin a new week. Is it summer yet?

5 Comments:

  • At 6:44 PM, April 26, 2007, Blogger Sjonster said…

    Sounds like a great time. I could sure use a weekend away.

     
  • At 6:54 PM, April 26, 2007, Blogger Mr. Switzer said…

    What does a "crappie" taste like? Sounds delicious. I've got a full bag of "crappie's" from Owen if you didn't catch your limit. I'll put a few in the freezer for you.

     
  • At 10:20 AM, April 30, 2007, Blogger Unknown said…

    mmmmmmmmmmm. . . crapppieee. . . . .

     
  • At 10:45 PM, May 01, 2007, Blogger J-Cat said…

    I was asking Patrick why someone would name a fish "crappie"...but apparently, it's pronounced "crawppy"...either way, it's a stupid name for a fish.

    And, uh, Kathleen, I think I'll pass on Owen's "crappies" as Izzy left me a few of her own on my floor...don't ask.

     
  • At 9:44 PM, May 10, 2007, Blogger Maureen said…

    I don't know what a crappie is, but I sure don't want to be eatin' it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home